Gentlemenburninatorsociety

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. I'm terrible at magic. Not terrible, AWFUL. On mtgo, I've never had a release event I've placed in the top half. I think I have 1 pack on my record, thanks to some strategic disconnection tech on the part of my opponent's internet provider.

No it's true, I'm not very good at this game. Then why do I stick around? That's a tough question to answer, but luckily I've given it a lot of thought. I've challenged myself to do it in one word.

Victory, intensity, competition, challenge, adversity, earned value? Nope.

Community.

--

MTG at its core, is about making and enjoying experiences. In my MTG career infancy that meant meeting the same group of people on a set day of the week, coming together and throw our decks at each other. It meant getting to know the people around you, and getting to know a subgroup of everyday life even more.

When I left my home-store where I learned to play back in England (Travelling Man, Newcastle), I was stuck. What do I do? I don't play online. I didn't know where the closest card shop was at my next destination was (turns out it's a 1hr flight away in a different time zone). I continued to obsess over cards but I couldn't physically play with with other people. I turned to what at the time, seemed like a group of guys who loved kicking back and shooting the stuff over everything to do with this game. The esteemed gentlemen @KevyMetall and @MattyStudios who started as a couple of guys and a couple of drinks on a podcast. Soon my listening turned to tweeting, and tweeting turned to sharing, and sharing turned to making new connections online. When the #HMSVU was formed and suddenly the listening collective had a label, a tag, an identity. What does it take to be an SVU member? A shared interest in the game and a willingness to passively or actively share your interest with others. Top tier decks? Nope. Experience? Nope. Conformation to a set of rules and regulations? Nope. Show up online, you're welcome here. If I can do it from a small island with questionable internet in the caribbean anyone can!



What I enjoy most of all, other than busting a gut week in and week out, is hearing about how our small community is growing and what people are doing in the name of the group, for the betterment of the game. This community, whether is likes to acknowledge it or not, is growing at an astounding rate to the point that when we start travelling to events, people know who we are and what we represent. A good group of people, looking for a good time to share with others. If you found your way to this site, you're part of that growth. Welcome. Do us proud.

--

The gentlemenburnintorsociety started as a simple hashtag, but I think it represents something a bit larger. It's the way some of use carry ourselves. We play our game, and shake hands at the end of the day, regardless of the outcome. It's about recklessly slinging spells and having them slung right back at us, but still holding a door for someone, giving someone help when the need it, and looking out for your fellow player. Be bigger than just yourself, grow your community :)

@Ricostravels

No comments:

Post a Comment