How much is too much?

Magic is fun, magic is physically accessible, magic can be competitive. Magic is expensive.

As a new player, it took me a full 1.5 matches on my very first day playing to get a feel for the difference between a deck fuelled with flavour and a deck fuelled with power (and by power I mean money). It makes sense, it's supply and demand, cards that are more powerful are more in demand. Cards that are more in demand can be sold at a higher price. Winning is fun, magic can be a money pit if you like fun. I like fun.


---

Magic is a collectable, tradable, card game. Meaning you buy randomized packs of cards and revel in the almost mythical reputation the "cracking" packs of cards hold. What will you get? It's the power lottery; $3 in might net you $50 out! 

I stopped buying packs of cards when I realized that I liked winning more than gambling (I don't like gambling). I think this is something that most players will go through relatively early in their card-slinging lives. That's not to say I don't like opening packs, I just won't go out of my way to buy them with the veiled hope of pulling the one card in 250 with a high rarity reducing the odds further. I tried an intro pack, a thematic deck designed to get me up and running. After playing a Tier 1 deck, I realized the discrepancy between the haves, the have nots, and the price tag that goes with winning. 

I found myself watching the SCG event last night cheering for Mono Red, why? "It's such a cheap deck", "takes no skill to play", blah blah (you're wrong on both fronts but that's for another article). I liked the idea of a deck priced at under $200 kicking the crap out of cards that run $40 a piece. I still do. Lowering the cost ceiling of standard is something I can only dream of. Winning because you're a better player, and not because your budget is bigger, is another pipe dream. 

And then it hit me, when Mono Red wins, the value goes up. Mono Red has the potential to also break the bank. *Ugh*

---

Magic is not chess. Not everyone is entitled to the same pieces when they sit down to play. Variety and the ensuing complexity make MTG fascinating to me. I WANT to play with big powerful cards, because they're big and powerful, AND go along nicely with the winning game plan.

People in Magic talk about "power creep" and if you cite my earlier logic, I completely agree. This game is going to "power creep" me and my wallet right out of the game. 

@Ricostravels

No comments:

Post a Comment