The HOT SEAT with David Caplan Canadian Pro Player and @Ricostravels Burninator Inspiration!


Welcome to the Gentlemen Burninator Society's first PRO player interview!! I'm very excited to welcome Canadian Pro Player, David Caplan!!



---

RT: Welcome to the Hot Seat David, I gotta say as THE player who sparked my interest in Red and showed me how to burn to the face it's immensely gratifying to get to interview you! 

DC: Thanks so much for having me!

RT: For those of you who don't know: David's Red Deck Wins list from Worlds 2011 was the first time I got to see mono red in action. I was also the first time I'd seen a Canadian Pro player and also my first year of playing MTG. David went top 4 in that tournament and when I put his list together it was the first time I'd ever won at my local store, and I finished in the top 8. What a rush! So thanks for being an ambassador for Canadian magic and my inspiration for playing red!

DC: Canadian professional magic went through a very long lull, and I can’t get enough of hearing that we are making a splash again and inspiring players.

RT: Where/When did you get your start in Magic?

DC: I started playing magic in 1998 when I was 10 years old. It moved from the schoolyard to summer camp, where I played non-stop with a close friend. I took a little bit of a break when I was younger, but have been playing some sort of Magic pretty consistently since then. I started playing competitively about 3 or 4 years ago, after devoting the majority of my time to eternal formats.

RT: What fuels your interest in Magic? Do you play any other games?

DC: I love problem solving and the logical discussions that from playing the game. The number of people with different opinions, playstyles, and though processes make it so that there is always something you can learn from others to help your game.

I play quite a few other games. I have a big board game collection, and like playing them with friends. I also play some PC games, right now just MTGO and a bit of League of Legends. I also have had some fun recently casually playing other CCGs like Cardfight and Kaijudo.

RT: What do you think of the state of Canadian Magic?

DC: I think it is at the best it has ever been, which makes me immensely proud. We have a huge player base, a steady stream of pro players who are successfully at the highest level of the game, the largest PTQs in the entire world, and an awesome magic community. As I mentioned earlier, Canadian professional Magic took a pretty long hiatus where either didn’t have players consistently qualified for Pro Tours, or they weren’t finishing well at the Pro Tours they were attending. I feel like now not only do we have a group of players who qualify for almost every Pro Tour, but the players who have started qualifying are now finishing better and staying on Tour.

RT: What does the sense of community mean to you in Magic? Do you have a local spot?

DC: When I play locally, I normally play at Hairy Tarantula North in Toronto. Community in magic probably means something different to me than it does to many others who play the game. I have moved around a lot through my Magic career and had the pleasure of being a part of many local Magic-playing communities. While many people would first think of their local store, their city, and the magic players they play with, my “community” doesn’t really have to do with geography. My community is the group of players I talk to, play with, test with, theorize with, and it’s global. While it started with Canadians from all around the country, now our little community has grown to include people from all over the world. Community in any incarnation is the reason I play Magic. The encouragement, knowledge transfer, and of course, the amazing times I have had playing the game, could have never occurred without these incredible people and the connection that this game forges.

RT: You get to play at magic tournaments all over the globe, what's it like traveling and seeing different cultures all sharing the same interest in Magic?

DC: It’s pretty incredible to have Magic-playing friends from all corners of the globe, and be able to travel with them to so many different places. It is interesting that you mention culture, Magic is kind of its own culture. While we may be of different nationalities or ethnicities, the cultural backbone of Magic ties us together in an incredible way. To be able to instantly connect and make friends wherever you travel is such an incredible gift.

RT: Do you have a favourite place you've travelled to play magic? Anywhere you'd like to visit?

DC: Annecy, France is my favorite place I’ve travelled to play magic (It is the location of the Bazaar of Moxen). The town is absolutely gorgeous, and I’ve had a blast every time I’ve gone.

RT: Is there anything you're specifically excited to experience in Magic's future?

DC: I can’t wait for Vintage to be released on Magic Online. Very few people get to play that format, and it will be incredible to see it start being played again. Vintage can teach players things in a way dissimilar to many other formats, and playing it a lot gives you a very different perspective on how the game is played in general.

RT: How did you get started with Manadeprived? 

DC: Qualifying for Worlds 2011 through the Magic Online Championships left me desperately looking for people to work with for the event. As a strictly eternal player up until that point, I didn’t have the connections to other qualified players in the country. I contacted Kar Yom Tom and he put me in touch with Alexander Hayne and a few other Canadians in a similar position. Our first Pro Tour working together we took a Top 4 slot, our second, Alex miraculously outdid our first coming home with the trophy. It has been a truly amazing experience.

<Lightning Round -- We play red, you knew this was coming>

RT: Favourite colour to play
DC: Blue

RT: Favourite card
DC: Nimble Mongoose

RT: Favourite figure in Magic (Player and/or character)
DC: Squee

RT: Favourite Set
DC: Ravnica

RT: Do you listen to MTG podcasts?
DC: No

RT: Do you play any other games?
DC: Yes: board games, video games, card games

<Grabs fire extinguisher>

RT: A lot of new players will see you as one of Canada's top players in the game, do you have any advice for them? Also, anything for aspiring players thinking about going pro?

DC: I think my advice for both groups is the same, ask questions. I can’t speak on behalf of everyone, but I know that the best response I’ve gotten is when I watch a lot and ask a few questions. This is also how I really appreciate being asked questions, it makes me feel like the person is doing their own work to try to figure out why you are thinking the way you are, the first step in improving your own thought process through the game. The more perspectives and the more intelligent questions you ask the more insight you can glean into how others think about the game, enhancing your understanding of it. This applies from the most basic concepts to the most advanced. Also, I can’t stress enough the importance of personal relationships with people who are helping you, if they are invested in your success then they will provide you with the best information they can, and help you work through your differences of opinions. I am a strong believer that you can’t go to a website and learn about something as complex as say tempo from an article. It is something you need to see, experience, and fundamentally understand, which I don`t think an article can provide.

RT: What do you think is the best way to introduce new players to the game and help them get started in the Magic community? What do you think of the state of Magic online in terms of player growth?

DC: The best way to get a new player into the game is for sure to be walked through by an experienced player. In my experience, it is best to be taught in pairs, as it is often difficult for a seasoned magic player to remember everything to tell them without enough questions and discussions from those who are learning. I think Magic Online is a blight in terms of player grown, the software is so dated and users have so many issues with it that it makes it one of the worst tools to use to teach someone or to start someone playing Magic. As far as introducing players to competitive play the software is far more effective as they already know the basic game mechanics and only need to worry about the software issues while playing, instead of focusing on both.

RT: My MTG community started in England but has since expanded across the globe through my travels and with social media (Twitter, Youtube, and Facebook). The core thing I've seen no matter where I've gone, is a shared interest in the game and the rich social experiences that it creates. On that note I'd like to shout out the Heavy Meta Podcast and it's army of listeners (#HMSVU) around the globe for fuelling my interest when I've been away from home!

RT: Do you have anyone you'd like to shout out?
DC: A huge shout out to the members of my Magic communities, I appreciate everything each of you has done for me, and I hope I will continue to return your favors.

RT: Is there anything else you'd like to add?

DC: Look out for Team Manadeprived at the next Pro Tour, the team is constantly evolving and you should be excited to see what comes next!

RT: Thanks again David, really looking forward to seeing you represent Canada and best of luck!
DC: Thank you so much, it was a pleasure.

RT: :D

---

#SoWorthTheWait
#FinallyGetToPlayPaperAgain
#BriefInterviewToKeepYourFireStoked



@Ricostravels

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I have to vouch for DC's openness and willingness to answer questions. I've approached him at a PTQ, and he was happy to offer good advice on sideboarding strategy. Thanks Cappy!

    ReplyDelete